Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Perry's advice

A very wise man - Perry - suggested reading Proverbs in the Bible for time honored wisdom. Wisdom which has helped many a studious soul for hundreds of years. Perry is a very wise man. He is humble, and he quietly makes a LOT of Money!! And he helps others Make Lots of Money too! Not that Wisdom is entirely about making lots of money.

And - any man who has helped so many others make SO much money must know something. So I got to reading this Book of Proverbs in my trusty old Bible! Turns out old Perry was very helpful in his suggestion. ( Old Perry is probably not that old. I have NO idea how old he is! ) So, right there in Chapter 27 you'll find the following verse:

"Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off. My son, be wise, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth me.

A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished. " Proverbs 27:10-12 (King James Version)

If we watch out for our neighbors - chances are they will return the kindness and watch out for us. It was a 9 year old neighbor kid who tipped off the police that the burglars who hit my house were just a couple of crack-heads who happened to live right across the street with a parent. That same 9 year old's Dad had left the comfort of his home to bring me phone with which I called those same police. He stayed by my side in case I needed any help. He helped me watch the rear of my property in case the burglars were still in the house.

I don't know his last name. I barely remember his wife's name. But on that fateful evening she took my son in her house while I dealt with the police and inspected the damage the little crack-heads had inflicted. Crack makes kids do stupid things. I can't imagine level headed young people doing the kind of damage I found in my house on that Spring evening.

I had not been prudent. I knew the threat existed. "Not in our nice little neighborhood" I thought. Boy was I wrong. I had fed those little crack head breakfast just a couple weeks earlier. I knew the Mother of one of them. We had been neighbors for at least five years. Crack does strange things to young minds. It makes them think they can steal stuff and buy more crack!

I don't know if those young drug addicts would have noticed if I had security cameras installed. But it sure would deter a more professional gang of burglars. Or capture video of any ass-wipe stupid enough to break into a house protected by a decent wireless security system.

Hindsight is always 20-20 vision. But now I know better. It can happen here. It does happen in nice little towns to nice folks. Every day! I hope you will take the timeless wisdom found in Proverbs to heart. Be prudent and protect your home and possessions. A good set of wireless home security cameras just might save you some needless grief.

No comments: